Do you want to produce a variety of content to share on social media without having to spend hours coming up with different content ideas and working on different content formats?
Do you find videos are easier to create for your business than other types of content, such as blogs, articles, infographics, podcasts, and presentations?
Here is a breakdown of how you can successfully take your existing video content and repurpose it into many other forms of content without investing a ton of effort that you can then share on your social channels:
1. Edit Your Own Videos
It's not important to have a video production room or acquire expensive equipment to deliver quality video content to your audience. You do not really need to break the bank on high-end camera gear and equipment just so you can record and edit your videos. You can start with the tools you have and build up as you progress.
What tools will you need for your videos? You will need two sets of tools; one for recording and the other one for editing.
The tools mentioned and recommended below depend on the video content you have chosen to produce. Again, the selection for recording tools may vary depending on the style of video you choose.
- The most common are Skype and Google Hangouts. Check out this list of video chat services you can use.
- Video recording apps are needed as well to record the sessions. Here's a list of free apps that might be helpful.
- Consider Go to Meeting, Zoom, Ustream and Livestream.
- You can use any of these tools to present webinars with ease from anywhere.
For one-person videos
- YouTube Live is by far the best one for video creators, especially streamers. Its Events feature gives you control of the live stream. You can stop and start the stream when you want or preview before you even go live.
Two of the easiest editing tools that are recommended for beginners are YouTube Editor and iMovie. These applications can save you a lot of time and effort, even if you’re not much of an expert, as both applications are quite easy to use and navigate.
Note: Unfortunately, YouTube has decided that Editor will no longer be available after 20 September 2017. If you have unpublished projects before then, remember to finish them.
For video introductions or custom thumbnails, it’s best you use Canva. You will see the all previously created visuals every time you log into your account. This is a feature that has been truly helpful to businesses as they can simply edit their existing content instead of having to come up with a new image each time.
Some helpful resources when working on videos:
- Collection of royalty-free music to use as background music for your videos
- List of free and paid video clips to insert into your videos as fillers
- Sources of stock photos or creative images that you can insert in your videos
2. Start A Video Series
With so much content available online, coming up with unique ideas and settling on a video genre is going to be a bit difficult.
Here's what you should do: Focus on ways to set your ideas apart from what is already out there. Once you have a general idea of what type of content you want to have for your videos, identify your campaign style and find the very best way to present your content. Rather than coming up with several stand-alone videos, brainstorming a series of ideas focused on the exploration of a single topic allows you to create expectations and turn your video series into more content assets.
Here are few ideas that can inspire your own video series:
• Share business tips and tactics and develop a series of webinars relevant to your topic.
• Feature experts in your industry and do a series of interviews related to your content.
• Take advantage of frequently asked questions to record a series of Q&A videos.
• Interview video creators and most active users on the platform you are at.
Once you have outlined your guides for your series, schedule a recurring day and time on your calendar when to record each episode. If you are planning to manage your social content, you can use a social media scheduling tool like Social Report's smart scheduling tool.
Option 1: Share the video link
Option 2: Share an image with a link to the video screenshot
It offers a better way to share on social media. You can schedule the date when you want your videos to be published. It also allows multiple videos to be uploaded, scheduled and published and gives you the ability to customize each publication.
3. Aim To Rank High On Google
Upload your videos to at several landing pages and make sure to optimize them using targeted keywords for search engines. Suggested pages on where to post:
• Your own website
• Video platforms such as YouTube, Vimeo, and Dailymotion
• Podcast websites such as SoundCloud and Logamp
Ideally, we want to rank on Google for our target keywords as this will drive more people to our site and ultimately generate more sales for our business. So, the more original content (titles and descriptions) we have for each of the landing pages, the better the odds that we will rank high in search results. If we provide unique stories, it will lead to more shares, likes and return users to our website.
Using a keyword monitoring tool, you can track keywords or alternative terms to use in your titles giving you the ability to monitor and analyze the social space for occurrences of a particular set of keywords that you have setup. You can even track hashtags and phrases and combine or exclude keywords into sophisticated queries.
For example, if you plan to have guests over for an interview about skin care with a well-known beauty blogger, here's how you might name the landing page titles:
• YouTube video page: Skincare Management Q&A with [Blogger Name]
• Podcast episode page: Discussing Skincare Problems with [Blogger Name]
• Blog post: How to Establish an Effective Skin Care Routine with [Blogger Name]
See how all three titles reflect the topic equally well?
4. Promote Your Content
When you're finally done with your masterpiece (with video, audio, and transcript in hand), then it’s finally time to publish and promote your content to the world.
Publishing on YouTube
As soon as you are done making your final edits on the video, you are now ready to upload it to your YouTube account online. Here’s a checklist of all the important details needed to optimize your video for discovery:
1. Title – You are allowed to use up to 100 characters for the title of your video in YouTube, but typically, a length of 70 characters works best on the platform.
2. Description – YouTube allows video creators to write up to 5,000 characters in the description field. The first 150 characters will be visible before the more link, so be sure to provide a unique description; this makes it easier to find your video through search.
3. Tags – It is important to use the right keywords when tagging your videos. You can use up to 500 characters. The more tags, the better for your video.
4. Playlist – Categorize your videos into playlists. This makes it easy for users to find more of your content as they are optimized and sorted together.
5. Thumbnail – Your thumbnail is one of the most important factors in promoting your content because it's the first thing that users see when checking out videos uploaded on YouTube. Customize your thumbnail by choosing an eye-catching, high-resolution image.
Pro Tip: Do not forget to add YouTube end screens, annotations and cards if you want to generate more video engagement. These features allow video creators to link their social media channels and invite viewers to subscribe or like their content.
Follow these best practices to improve discoverability of your YouTube videos.
Writing Blog Posts and Embedding Videos
Make time to properly publicize your videos on your website, because it should be the center of your content marketing strategy. It is where you consolidate all of your content marketing efforts by creating multimedia blog posts offering your readers various ways to consume your content:
• Embed your video on YouTube. Adding a direct link will help your video page rank better.
• Provide a summary or an on-page text transcript or both. Use visuals to beautify the post.
• Offer PDF download with takeaways and links and share them in the blog post.
Posting Mini-Videos on Instagram
Uploading short clips on Instagram to build awareness from there is one way of encouraging clicks from your followers to your main video. Do you know how you can create nice-looking, mini-versions of your videos? The free version of Animoto allows you to make great videos, easily. You can turn your video clips into share-worthy marketing videos designed to stand out on Instagram.
Creating a Landing Page that Promotes your Digital Channels
Do you know why it’s important to create a single index page linking to all your social media channels? It’s because of the sheer amount of content scattered around the world wide web. The idea here is to provide people with a single location where they can subscribe to any social media channel you have a presence on.
5. Combine Evergreen Content
When you collate your evergreen posts, you will realize that you can combine some of them and create an entirely new content catalog. As your inventory continues to grow as you get further into your campaign, you will have tons of content ready to be consolidated into one.
Edit videos and turn them into a video course
If you are looking for a great opportunity to monetize your campaign, you should consider doing instructional videos. You can expand your audience to video-course platform users by combining short clips of your published videos and making them into a free video course.
Creating this type of content requires almost no effort at all. It’s easy to produce since you will just be taking existing content from your videos online and only adding a solid course description. Here's where you can upload them: Udemy, Teachable, and Kajabi.
Video courses are the best way to consolidate your virtual assets since the lectures can be offered as additional downloadable resources.
When you have tons of content on your hands and want that content to be repurposed and optimized properly, here are a few handy tools and tips that can help with the task
1. Use a single social sharing dashboard for your business.
Social media tools offering team collaboration can keep your content organized. You can schedule social media promotions, engage with fellow team members and delegate work and see their progress.
2. Use a plagiarism checker to ensure your content is authentic.
This can help with ensuring your content is ranking as high as it should be. You need to make sure that the content you publish and share on your social media channels (from YouTube descriptions down to public course descriptions uploaded on online learning platforms) is 100% original by using a Plagiarism checker.
3. Use a monitoring dashboard.
When you are promoting a lot of content on all of your social media channels, it is crucial to monitor how well or badly they are performing. This is for you to know if your marketing strategy and curated content are measuring up to the goals you intended. Social media reporting tools like Social Report can help you with that. You will be able to see traffic generated by your posts and videos. You can closely monitor the follower or subscriber growth on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Video campaigns are one of the most highly effective ways in marketing in today’s digital world. Not only can you generate more content assets for your business by creating videos and spinning them off into other content formats, but you will also have more developed social media channels when you post consistently with varied content types that are interesting to your target audience. You can easily repurpose your videos into many forms of valuable content without hurting your wallet since everything can be managed in-house.